Jaeger showcases medals awarded throughout her high school career. (PHOTO COURTESY/ EL PASO TIMES)
Jaeger showcases medals awarded throughout her high school career.

PHOTO COURTESY/ EL PASO TIMES

Record breaker Jennelle Jaeger aims to shine in senior year

September 10, 2018

With the cross-country season upon us, Coronado’s star senior Jennelle Jaeger takes the spotlight.

The track and cross-country star has received countless recognition and awards since freshman year. Her most notable awards came in her junior season, where she was named All-State for cross-country. She finished 3rd in the state track meet and was named El Paso Track Athlete of the Year in her junior season.

“It feels really rewarding that all my hard work has payed off. I honestly didn’t think I’d be where I’m at two years ago,” Jaeger said.

Jaeger has greatly improved her past 3 years. From not making it out of district competition her freshman year, to placing 3rd in the state of Texas, Jaeger’s hard work has brought her to where she is now.

“I’m a firm believer that if you seriously want something, nothing will stop you until you get it,” Jaeger said.

Although Jaeger isn’t fully committed to any D1 program, she has plenty of universities to choose from. Jaeger started receiving offers her junior year, and is considering Alabama, Duke, TCU, Oklahoma St, USC, West Point, and Utah. Nothing is official yet, but she is still considering every offer she receives.

Jaeger also makes sure to motivate her teammates on the track. She might be a Division I track prospect, but she still cares about the people around her.

“She is very motivating and always works her hardest,” teammate Dora Goldstein said. “She pushes everyone as well as herself when she works out.”

Off the track, Jaeger is involved in many extracurricular activities. Senior exec, student council, and NHS are just some of organizations she participates in. She cheered her freshman and sophomore year but had to quit her junior year to focus on cross-country and track. Lastly, Jaeger likes to spend time with her friends and family.

“In school she’s really hardworking and dedicated,” teammate Jalyn Guardado. “She tries super hard and is super fun to be around when we hang out.”

Jaeger plans to finish her senior season off strong and is excited to see what the future holds for her.