Disney+ contains over 7,500 shows and 500 movies to choose from. (PHOTO COURTESY/ REESE MANN)
Disney+ contains over 7,500 shows and 500 movies to choose from.

PHOTO COURTESY/ REESE MANN

Disney+ gains 10 million subscribers on release day

December 27, 2019

Disney+ was released on Nov. 12 and has already gained about 24 million subscribers. Disney has been rivaling with Netflix for years now, so their new service has the intent of pushing them out of business for good. They have already taken control of Hulu and released another streaming service, ESPN+. Analysts have predicted that Disney+ will have about 20 million subscribers by the end of the year, according to the Los Angeles Times, making them very successful.

Disney+ contains about 500 movies and 7,500 episodes of shows from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic, and other brands. Fan favorites have been the Star Wars movies by far. The app allows up to 10 devices to play at once and can be purchased for $6.99 a month following a free seven-day trial period.

On its launch day, the app ran into some technical problems right away. Most of these problems were a result of the unexpectedly high demand. Issues included trouble logging in, restriction from specific content or features, and long hold times over the phone. Nevertheless, Disney has predicted that their streaming service will have between 60 and 90 million subscribers worldwide by 2024. One third of those subscribers will come from the US, causing Disney to expect to spend over $1 billion on original content.

Disney plus is available in the US, Canada, the Netherlands, Australia, New Zealand, and Puerto Rico. In March of next year, the company plans to expand their app to France, Germany, Italy, Spain, and the UK.

In one day, Disney+ gained 10 million users, so you could say it was a huge hit. Creating an app that contains all original content from over the last 40 years has drawn audiences of all ages. With lower prices than other streaming services, Disney+ has beat out their competitors and won over their fan’s hearts.