Lovato returns to the stage after two years, singing her new song, “Anyone.” (Photo courtesy / Seventeen Magazine)
Lovato returns to the stage after two years, singing her new song, “Anyone.”

Photo courtesy / Seventeen Magazine

Demi Lovato makes an emotional return after two years of addiction recovery

February 14, 2020

Demi Lovato made her emotional and breathtaking return to the stage with her 2020 Grammy’s performance. Lovato sang her new song, “Anyone,” as part of her first live appearance in almost two years. Her “disappearance” was largely due to a drug overdose she had in July 2018.

Lovato’s return was a very emotional night for all. At the start of her song, she began to cry and had to restart. As she began again, the crowd applauded, giving her the confidence to finish the song. Lovato blew the audience away, resulting in a standing ovation from the entire Staples Center. She wrote “Anyone” days before she was hospitalized for drug abuse, but decided to save it for the day she returned for people to hear it. Throughout the song, Lovato references her constant battles with addiction after her 2018 incident.

“What an unbelievable night,” Lovato reflected on the moment on social media the next day. “My first time back on stage in almost 2 years. So emotional for me. Thank you all for the love and support and for sharing this moment with me. I love you all.”

Lovato spoke widely about her struggle with substance abuse and eating disorder. The singer underwent treatment in 2011, but her health quickly deteriorated after leaving the facility. Lovato then entered a sober-living facility for a year. Then in June 2018, she released her song “Sober,” where she shared that she had relapsed after six years of sobriety. She reportedly checked into a rehab facility after her accident in July 2018.

“I now need time to focus on my sobriety and road to recovery,” Lovato wrote in an Instagram post during her recovery. “The love you all have shown me will never be forgotten and I look forward to the day where I can say I came out of this on the other side.”

Lovato has been on a roller coaster of poor events, but continues to fight and continues to prove fans wrong. Her new song has impacted many people and has taught many of her fans that even when life is difficult,  recovering and continuing to fight is critical. She has been open about her problems, and fans are glad to see her walking on a new path to recovery.