Constructing a New Year

Updates regarding school construction provide new timeline. PHOTO COURTESY / MARGAUX DALBIN

Often as returning students or even new students, the excitement of the new year and its unpredictability is one of the many things that excites us. However, as the 2016 bond is put in effect, the campus has now been populated with portables, construction and empty buildings waiting demolishment.

Additionally, Coronado will be putting students on a block schedule as opposed to years before where students would have 8 classes a day, 45 minutes each. Though the new schedule has arisen varying points of views, the longer classes should minimize traffic on campus, keep students from construction zones, and allow them a longer lunch.

“Getting a feel for the campus might be more difficult but hopefully the classrooms will be easy enough to distinct from each other and new students will manage,” incoming freshman Allison Skinner said.

“I definitely like the idea of an hour lunch instead of the mere 35 minutes we had before,” senior Sofia Mota said.

As the 2016 bond states, Coronado will be tearing down some of its oldest buildings (A and B building) and to make up for lost classrooms, portables have been placed on our blacktop and parking lots. As of now, classrooms are to be determined for teachers and students.

Also, one of the concepts put forth to manage with the loss of buildings is the idea of ‘floating classrooms’, where teachers would be transitioning along with students. This concept is suggested to minimize the number of rooms needed for teaching.

Although a lot of the details for the new school year is still up in the air, students should expect updates in the beginning weeks of school. (Check out The Explorers’ campus map if you need any help getting around!)