Sille Christensen embraces the T-bird life. (PHOTO/ CHRISTIAN QUINONES)
Sille Christensen embraces the T-bird life.

PHOTO/ CHRISTIAN QUINONES

Foreigners, Food, and Fun

August 30, 2018

America’s stereotypical staple food has long been associated with large portions of greasy food delivered in a matter of minutes.

Sille Christensen, a 11th grade foreign exchange student from Denmark, remarks on the difference in culture between El Paso and her hometown.

“The people in El Paso are way friendlier and more open minded than Danes,” Christensen said.

Christensen also notices the disparities in walking and driving between Denmark and El Paso.

“In Denmark we don’t drive cars very often, most people walk,” Christensen said.

Christensen emphasizes that there is a greater variety of foods available in El Paso than in Denmark.

“The food in Denmark mostly consist of pork, potatoes, and gravy,” Christensen said. “Mostly at school in Denmark we pack our own lunch, but here we go off campus and can eat pretty much anything we want.”

Flamin’ Hot Cheetos is now also a new favorite for Christensen, who had never seen or heard of Hot Cheetos prior to living here in El Paso.

“I love them, they kind of taste like chips with salsa and I love salsa,” Christensen said.

Some of Coronado’s most popular lunch places, such as Chick-fil-a and Panda Express, were a huge hit for Christensen as well. She ordered the fried nuggets, waffle fries, and Polynesian sauce at Chick-fil-a and ramen from Panda Express.

Christensen will continue to try new and exciting foods.

“I tried these places because we don’t have in Denmark, so I just fell in love with it,” Christenen said.