A student prepares for the PSAT. (PHOTO / CHRISTIAN QUINONES)
A student prepares for the PSAT.

PHOTO / CHRISTIAN QUINONES

PSAT to be held October 10th

September 3, 2018

Freshmen, sophomores, and juniors will be taking the PSAT on Wednesday, October 10th. The PSAT will test students’ reading, writing, and math skills.

Each section has a different amount of time allotted to complete it. For reading, students will receive 60 minutes to answer 47 questions. For writing and language, students get up to 35 minutes to answer 44 questions. The math without calculator section allows for 25 minutes to answer 17 questions, and the math with calculator section allows for 45 minutes to answer 31 questions.

The PSAT is considered a good gauge of how students will do on the SAT. However, getting a poor score on the PSAT does not always translate to failure on the SAT. Doing well on the SAT is critical because it will affect which colleges students can be accepted to, and the scholarships they receive. Some jobs require students to submit SAT scores and sometimes, their high school GPA.

The PSAT is scored from 320-1520, with each section being scored from 160-760. The PSAT only gives students credit for correct answers. No points are deducted for an incorrect response.

To improve their PSAT score, students may look to the PSAT student guide booklet distributed by the Coronado counselors. The booklet offers advice and tips, information on the test, and includes similar practice problems to those on the test. Khan Academy, an online learning platform, also offers personalized SAT practice. After taking the PSAT, students should link their CollegeBoard account with an account on Khan Academy to get the best personalized practice.

For information on SAT dates, click here.