Photo / Victoria Gasca

As shown in this photo from Nov. 17, 2018, the city of El Paso holds its annual “Celebration of Lights” before Thanksgiving takes place. Events such as these cause some to wonder whether the holidays are being celebrated for far too long.

Holiday excitement never comes too early

November 5, 2019

You know the moment. The second that Halloween had ended, stores whisked out their holiday products, began blasting some festive tunes, and placed wintry decorations in every nook and cranny. In some cases, this phenomenon even occurred well before Oct. 31 had come to pass.

For many, watching this take place is agonizing. They protest the excessively early celebration, citing that Thanksgiving has not even come.

“I feel that it’s kind of skipping over the one holiday where we stop and appreciate everything we have gained and been given,” junior Kathy Hernandez said.

Arguably, this frustration is justified. Consumerism has largely overtaken the true spirit of the season. Instead of unification as a human race, some people are interested solely in making wish lists. They spend their Thanksgiving in line for early Black Friday deals instead of sharing food and making memories with loved ones. The acquisition of new items precedes any of the social and emotional meaning of these special occasions, like Hanukkah, Christmas, and Kwanzaa.

Yet, this is not always the case. The winter holidays can and should be just as much of an appreciative period as Thanksgiving. Yes, gifts are frequently exchanged, but it is not the sole focus. More representative of the holidays are the actions of gathering as a family, partaking in annual traditions, giving back to the community, and spending time simply living in the moment (make sure to incorporate these into any holiday plans). Moreover, these events may carry additional significance for specific demographics. For some religious and cultural groups, this period may also be a revival of spirituality; for others, this period may just provide an excuse for attending and hosting cheerful events.

“I enjoy all the [holiday] spirit and bright vibes everyone gives,” sophomore Fabiola Hinojos said.

After all, a major part of the holiday season is the collection of idyllic memories of which it reminds us. A strange sort of magic emerges during this period – perhaps a combination of the music, the movies, the foods, the weather, and the people around us.

Regardless of one’s reason for celebrating, they should not be scorned for eagerly anticipating the holiday season. Let people spend November and December wearing red sweaters printed with snowflakes, jamming out to “It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year,” and daydreaming about exactly how their winter break will go. The festivities will come and go, so prolonging it as much as possible does absolutely no harm. In fact, you may be spreading some joy along the way.

Are the holidays (Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, etc.) being celebrated too early?

• Yes (50%, 1 Votes)
  • No (50%, 1 Votes)

Total Voters: 2

Loading ... Loading ...