Senior Spotlight: Paul Coppinger

March 12, 2021

Photo courtesy / Mark Cooledge Photography

Senior Paul Coppinger is an outstanding baseball player who plans to continue playing the sport in the next chapter of his life.

Senior Paul Coppinger, varsity pitcher and first baseman, has been playing baseball for Coronado since he was a freshman. Over the past four years, he has developed his skills further and become an integral part of the team.

“My coaches and teammates have helped me so much to get me where I am now,” he said. “When I was [a] freshman and sophomore, my team really took me in and really gave me the confidence to be the best I can be.”

For all that his team has done for him, Coppinger’s teammates emphasize the mark he leaves on each of them.

“Paul is a good leader and always help us do our best,” varsity junior catcher Daniel Milan said. “He is such a good teammate and is always hungry to win. He is fun to be with, but when it’s game time, he takes baseball very seriously.”

Coppinger serves as a role model with his intense dedication to the sport.

“Paul is such an amazing teammate,” varsity sophomore outfielder Ian Sanchez said. “Not only is he good at baseball, but he also has an amazing work ethic that inspires us all. He knows how to compete when it comes to baseball.”

The varsity baseball team won their first game against Socorro High School with a leading score of 2-1 on March 2. Coppinger threw 93 pitches and 11 strikeouts in seven innings in their game. According to data from the pocket radar, Coppinger has an average throw speed of 90 miles per hour.

COVID-19 canceled the entire high school baseball season last year and has also held the team back this year, too. They fear that COVID will ruin this year’s season too, so they are taking extra precautions to keep everyone healthy.

“This year they also reduced the amount of people that can go to our games, and it has been very different,” Coppinger said. “The crowds are small and quieter than normal.”

Even as this unusual season begins, he is making plans to play baseball in college.

“I’m not sure where I’m going, but I will make my final decision soon!” Coppinger said.

The varsity baseball team will play Franklin High School on March 12 at 12 PM.