The Explorer

• Word of the Day-entomology (noun): branch of zoology concerned with the study of insects

• Today in 1906-The Great San Francisco Earthquake, rated a 8.0 on the Richter scale, kills 3,000 and topples various buildings

• Campbell Bowden and Isaiah Dawkins named All-Coronado Girl and Boy, respectively

• New parking lot on Cloudview to be available after Spring Break

• B building to be demolished in March

Filed under A & E, Music and Movies

Billie Eilish releases new album

Eilish+released+her+album+on+March+29.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Billie Eilish releases new album

Eilish released her album on March 29.

Eilish released her album on March 29.

Photo courtesy / Moxie Music

Eilish released her album on March 29.

Photo courtesy / Moxie Music

Photo courtesy / Moxie Music

Eilish released her album on March 29.

Billie Eilish’s album “When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?” was released on all streaming services on March 29. The record is comprised of 14 songs including released singles such as “bury a friend”, “you should see me in a crown” and “when the party’s over.”  

Eilish’s debut album was received with praise, especially for its coverage of a range of themes, from depression to love and relationships. The album is set to headline as the number one spot on the Billboard 200 Chart.

Eilish was born on December 18, 2001, in Highland Park, Los Angeles. Both of her parents, Maggie Baird and Patrick O’Connell, are songwriters and musicians. From a young age, Eilish expressed interest in music, joining her local choir at age eight.

At 11 years old, Eilish began writing music with her brother Finneas O’Connell, who is also a musician and plays for the band The Slightlys. Eilish broke into stardom with her hit “Ocean Eyes” on March 2016, written by Finneas O’Connell. The single went on to become 2X platinum, selling over 1 million copies, launching Eilish to success.

Eilish’s first EP titled “don’t smile at me” was released on August 11, 2017. “Don’t smile at me” went on to become certified gold, selling over 500,000 copies with “Copycat,” “My Boy,” “Idontwannabeyouanymore,” and “Bellyache” all becoming certified gold as singles.

On October 12, 2018, Eilish collaborated with Khalid to release the somber ballad “Lovely.” The single went on to become certified platinum with the song, and is featured in the Netflix original 13 Reasons Why. “Lovely” blends the soft voices of Khalid and Eilish to create a ballad about overcoming depression and anxiety.

Eilish continued working on music and released the single “when the party’s over” on October 17, 2018. The single features Eilish’s soft falsetto with a quiet orchestral background that aimed to evoke feelings of loneliness and heartbreak. The single went on to become certified gold on December 11, 2018.

Eilish’s new album can be heard in full on streaming platforms Apple Music, Spotify, and Tidal.

About the Writer
Omar Cardenas, Entertainment Editor

"You can't be disappointed,  if you expect nothing"
If I could be anyone on the explorer staff i'd be Kareena because she is passionate for this newspaper.