Understanding and dealing with quarantine

Photo / Jillian Saldanha

A student reads a book while preparing to log onto Schoology.

Jillian Saldanha, Editorial Editor

The COVID-19 virus is rapidly spreading and has pushed governments to impose a stay-home order to keep people safe. This quarantine has been in place for some time now, although there are some who chose to ignore it. Self-isolation isn’t the end of the world and is beneficial in more ways than solely health purposes.

With online classes starting up, time doesn’t move as slowly as it did when there was seemingly nothing to do. There is always a plus side to every bad situation, and quarantine is no different.

As we approach the next week of social distancing it is crucial that we keep these ideas in mind:

• By separating yourself from society, we’re one step closer to ending the quarantine.
  • There are plenty of things to do in and around your home that are still productive or entertaining.
  • Don’t refer to isolation as imprisonment; think of it as a time to be introspective.

The last time the government mandated a quarantine was in 1918 due to the Spanish flu pandemic. This most recent pandemic has traveled quickly and infected many, making a self-quarantine a necessary preventive measure.

Being stuck at home isn’t the worst thing to happen to any teenager. There are many ways to pass the time and be active. Some things to do by yourself include reading, cleaning up around the house and your room, and catching up on any schoolwork. Quarantine doesn’t mean not interacting with friends and family. There are multiple online ways to stay in contact and spend quality time with loved ones. Rather than complaining of boredom and loneliness, find ways to overcome these emotions that everyone is experiencing.

Introspection is looking within yourself and examining your own mental state and how you process information. Being quarantined leaves a lot of time spent with just yourself, and what better way to pass the time than to do some soul-searching? Realize that you don’t always need to be social to be happy; you just need yourself. It takes time to get to a place where you’re happy being alone, but the end result is worth it. Self-isolation provides the time to get to know yourself better, so don’t take it for granted.

With everything happening around the world, it can be difficult to stay grounded. This time we’ve been allowed shouldn’t be viewed negatively but should help us focus on the little things that are within our control.