New District Travel Regulations

In response to a recent surge in COVID-19 cases the district has implemented new travel regulations to protect those travelling for school activities. Students and staff members traveling out of town for extracurricular activities must test negative for COVID-19 24 hours prior to leaving.

“There were some events over the past weekend with kids getting COVID and bringing it back down and the coaches had to end up driving them back. I do not think it was anyone from our team but it was still affecting us, so we did put some protocols in play,” said Principal Marc Escareno.

If a student is going out of town for purposes related to a sport, the trainers must follow protocols by testing the student athlete a day before their departure.

“They say do not test the kids the day of departure because it is not fair for the kid to be all packed and all the sudden, he is positive and he has to leave,” Escareno said.

For clubs and organizations leaving town for activity purposes, school administrators will have COVID-19 tests available for the people traveling.

“Those non-athletic teams like debate will be tested by us the administrators,” Escareno said.

To schedule a COVID-19 test, students must contact a trainer or administrator and schedule their test a week in prior of the travel date.

“You got to let us know a week in advance if you are going to test so we can shut down the weight room and do the testing so we can get it done in time and you will have to warn your parents about the testing,” said Trainer Tanya Watson.

While a COVID-19 test is mandatory for traveling, parents must sign a permission slip for their child to be tested. If the parents do not give permission for their child to be tested, they will have to provide their own transportation along separate place for the child to stay overnight.

“What the district decided was that if the parent refused to test, they have to have their own accommodations with overnight stay and transportation. However, we can’t stop if the kid wants to join them for dinner, we just have to have the urge to have them follow precaution,” Escareno said.

Coaches of any sports teams and sponsors of any organization are also required to test.

“Coaches and sponsors are also responsible to get tested because it is standard policy. If you refuse to get tested, you will not get the allowance, you will be paying out of your own pocket,” Escareno said.

These COVID protocols are intended to ensure the safety of the community and to avoid creating new cases. These protocols will remain in effect until February 15, 2022 at which point they will be subject to change.