JROTC Firing Range

Photo courtesy / Master Sergeant Eduardo Hernandez

JROTC students do not have to join the military, but they do learn skills that would be helpful to them.

For those of the students who do not know JROTC (Junior Reserve Officer’s Training Corps), it is a program for students who want to improve on their life skills whether if they want to go to the military or not. Although it is not an obligation to join the military if you are an JROTC student in high school, it is run by the military. The old weight room by the portables is now a firing range for the JROTC to practice their aim and here are the benefits on how it will improve the program.

“JROTC is a program for young students to get ahead in life. A lot of people think it is a career path for the military which it could be, but it is more of a business administration program and although we try to push our cadets to go to college, we try to teach them the fundamentals of business management,” COW2 Rodriguez said.

JROTC inspect the shooting range. Photo courtesy / Master Sergeant Eduardo Hernandez

To help improve the program, the Officer Warrant and Master Sergeant wanted to help JROTC students improve their aim for discipline and because the JROTC have shooting teams.

“The firing range is already completed, and it used to be a firing range many decades ago and switched over to a weight room but now the JROTC team is moving underneath the stadium, everything is consolidated and it’s up to speed and now we do have shooting teams,” COW2 Rodriguez said.

A view of the shooting range. Photo courtesy / Master Sergeant Eduardo Hernandez

Having a firing range in the JROTC program will not only improve their aim on their targets but they will also teach life skills which is the main goal of the JROTC program. This will help high school students mature and take real life actions like weapon violence, and the action of being a good citizen seriously.

“The firing range is one of the main subjects the Marine Corp expects us to teach and what that does is that it teaches discipline, weapon safety, and we have a whole array of what is expected of what are cadets being good citizens, following rules and patriotism,” COW2 Rodriguez said

Expanding the JROTC program in this school will help students with their life skills and handle real life problems that are about to come after high school and adulthood. The firing range is one small step on the right direction.