Black History Month: Featuring Black Student Union

This month marks an important landmark in our country. A notorious chip in our foundation if you will. Black History Month not only celebrates black excellence across our nation but reflects on the struggles of systemic racism and inequality. We’ve come a long way but there is still so much work that needs to be done. One club, in particular, is paving the stepping stones to a brighter future for the black community: Coronado’s Black Student Union.

To acknowledge the construed concepts of the past is to recognize the individuals who have come so far as to establish a place for themselves in society. To change the way, we perceive African Americans requires changing our perspectives altogether.

Damisola Adedaji, one of the founding members of BSU, explains how we can educate ourselves on important matters, such as the Black Lives Matter Movement.

“I think the internet is a really good tool. Using the internet, watching videos, and also speaking with black members within the community are good ways to educate yourself,” Adedaji said.

Acknowledging others that have contributed to equal representation is an important factor to reflect upon. Take, for instance, Fred Hampton, who formed the Rainbow Coalition, which was a movement that centered on anti-racism and the elimination of classism.

These valid topics, such as notable figures that have contributed to the movement, are many of the topics discussed at BSU meetings reserve a safe space for all students, especially black students, to express their issues and discuss relevant topics. Their goal is to provide a place where vulnerability is never seen as a sign of weakness.

“The mission of Coronado Black Student Union is to celebrate and uphold black excellence. Also, to provide a space where the black student body can talk about their struggles with being black and can talk about the joys that come with being a person of color,” said BSU founder Abigail Frierson.

The notable figures before our time have established important movements today, such as the Black Lives Matter movement. The now infamous movement focused on highlighting racial inequality, started after the acquittal of George Zimmerman following the shooting of Trayvon Martin. Since then, the movement has made headlines after the murder of George Floyd in 2020.

Recently, the state of Texas implemented a new law that prohibits discussions of racism in the classroom. However, the issues we face in regards to racism cannot simply be ignored. In fact, addressing these issues that still persist today can shed light on several perspectives.

“I think they’re [the new laws] stupid. Not talking about it is not going to make it go away. Action and being held accountable is what changes things,” said BSU member Gianna Newberry.

As the month comes to a close, we should keep in mind the struggles and triumphs of the African American community.  February shouldn’t be the only month for remembering black history, every day is. Educating ourselves as well as others is a great importance to bettering our communities. To a better future and to an anti-racist society.