Football and volleyball season recap

The Coronado football team, like the volleyball team, faced challenges this year. But, all in all, they are satisfied with what they accomplished many and look forward to next year.

Photo courtesy / Veronica Reynolds Garcia of Prep1 USA

As first semester comes to end, so does Coronado High School fall sports. Unfortunately, COVID-19 did not allow students into the games to support, but they were able to watch it live from home or on the go. These restrictions did not set back the talented players.

Both Coronado’s football team and volleyball team had a successful year despite the circumstances.

“This is my last year playing volleyball for Coronado since I’m a senior,” senior Varsity volleyball player Avery Bejarano said. “I honestly couldn’t be more pleased with the outcome of this season and my awesome teammates!”

Sophomore Varsity player Janais Millan admitted that the season was not completely perfect.

“This season was definitely difficult for us and at times un-motivating, but with the support of my team, we pulled through and played as a family,” Millan said.

Varsity volleyball won the Bi-District and District championship and made it to Area. The volleyball team is ranked two hundred and nineteenth in the state as of Dec. 14. They won all three sets of the District championship against San Angelo Central on Nov. 20, and they lost all three sets in the Area playoffs to Byron Nelson on Nov. 24, ending their season.

Coronado football is likewise content with their season.

“It was a great year; we had hoped to finish this season off with a win or make it to playoffs, but that wasn’t the outcome,” sophomore Varsity cornerback David Abarca said. “I can’t thank the seniors enough for this football season we shared; it was a great year. As a team, we faced a lot of adversity, but we overcame a lot of it and formed a brotherhood stronger than before. We will be back next year hungry for more!”

Unfortunately, Coronado High School lost to Franklin High School, 35-7, on Nov. 13. They lost their final game to Montwood High School, 28-21, on Nov. 30.

They helped each other play for each other and together instead of as individuals. In the season, they won two games against Socorro High School and Chapin High School. Leading them to a two-game victory and four lost games, senior wide receiver Mike Williams was MVP for Varsity.

Even though they had a rough season, they learned to play as a team, and that was their biggest accomplishment.